Rules Latest Posts
Search
Advanced Search
« Previous12Next »
RSS Feed

New to computer FPS's- Aiming practice game?

#  Jun 03, 2009 at 9:19 PM
 monkeyfan666
monkeyfan666

Hiya,
I am new to computer-run FPSes, I have played a lot of CoD4 on the 360 tho.

I just bought and installed the orange box a few days ago. I was wondering if there were any flashgames or anything like that that I could play to increase my hand speed/dexterity/agility/precision for when I am playing TF2?

Thank you!
Monkeyfan666
#  Jun 03, 2009 at 9:25 PM
Welcome.

Your best bet for practice is right in the game. Aiming superiority comes with time and if you just practice, you'll get the hang of it. Besides, nothing could train you as well as actual experience, so just jump in a spammy public server and use your opponents for target practice.

If you really want to practice without joining other players, I do know of a good way. You can practice sniper on the map "billiards" by having some enemy bots mimic you. I can explain how, if you're interested.

And being new to PC games, I think you will like them for their improved shininess.

Best of luck!
#  Jun 03, 2009 at 9:30 PM
 monkeyfan666
monkeyfan666

<3 Thank you!!
The sniper was what I was interested-you read my mind.

Could you please teach me how to do that?

Thanks!
#  Jun 03, 2009 at 9:37 PM
 Zenith013
Zenith013

Turn your mouse sensitivity WAY down
#  Jun 03, 2009 at 10:28 PM
 Testify
Testify

#  Jun 04, 2009 at 9:17 AM
Quote:
I don't find that map helpful, it's too twitchy. You need to predict where people are going and those jumpy bots don't have human predictability. They're too hard to hit.

As for my training method, download the map "billiards" from FPS banana and load it on your own server (from menu, select create server and pick the map.) You must enable the console (place to enter commands) by opening your options, going to the keyboard tab, click advanced, and check the box that says "Enable Developer Console." After that, apply the settings and press the tilde (~) key, right above tab. That gives you a window into which you enter your commands. After joining blue team, type the following:

sv_cheats 1
mp_teams_unbalance_limit 0
bot -team red (repeat this about eleven or twelve times. Press the up arrow key to quickly enter the last command.)
bot_mimic 1

This will give you a selection of enemies in different classes to snipe against. Drop down to the table level and clear the billiard balls. Move around a bunch and the bots follow opposite you. You now have a wide space to practice in. I think it's fun.
#  Jun 04, 2009 at 9:38 AM
 sp3cialk
sp3cialk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith013
Turn your mouse sensitivity WAY down
Seriously?? I actually turned mine up a good bit.. then once I acquired a good mouse and was able to have high DPI, I turned it back down.
#  Jun 04, 2009 at 10:45 AM
 Testify
Testify

Quote:
Originally Posted by computergeniusman
Quote:
I don't find that map helpful, it's too twitchy. You need to predict where people are going and those jumpy bots don't have human predictability. They're too hard to hit.

Not really, And once you get aiming down being able to hit these types of movements. Ingame aiming starts to become alot easier.(i.e. Predictable movement being easy to hit)
#  Jun 04, 2009 at 10:53 AM
 kikinchikin
kikinchikin

Download CounterStrike and play some Gun Game maps.  Do this for about a month, and then you will pwn in every FPS once you learn individual game idiosyncrasies like the hitboxs.  I don't have the patience personally to stay with this method for very long.  But it will make you good at aiming on the run and using lots of different types of weapons.  (or go to scouts and knives maps. Those suck but will make you a good sniper.)

Unless you mainly want to play sniper, then listen to these guys for sniper practice.

And I turn the mouse way down for sniping too, but only for sniping.

#  Jun 04, 2009 at 11:07 AM
 Drake Matter
Drake Matter

Well it all depends on what kind of game you're going to play. As for TF2 your class. If you're going sniper then go play some Counter Strike and some TF2. If you're playing Soldier/Demo/Scout go play some Quakelive. That will help you a TON, although you'll probably get stomped in the beginning. You just have to stick with it, and it really doesn't take that long. It's not really the aiming that's as big of a deal as it is the movement. If you watch a person who's been PC gaming most of their life you'll see that they don't even think about strafing and moving in odd patterns because it's natural for them. Just play some games, you'll pick up on it.
« Previous12Next »
WELCOME TO GAMERNATION!

World Famous ShoutBox
The Buzz
GamerNation on Twitter