Advanced Search
The Team Fortress 2 Fort

The Team Fortress 2 Fort

RSS Feed

Can't upload graffiti tags, missing vtex.dll

#  Oct 15, 2007 at 5:33 PM
 Kailure
Kailure

The error message says exactly: "Unable to load vtex.dll. Try restarting Steam to get the latest updates."

Steam's "already up-to-date." so... where can I go to get vtex.dll and where do I put it?
#  Oct 16, 2007 at 8:05 AM
 xCrimsonXx
xCrimsonXx

When I get home I will upload mine, I will upload the whole Vtex folder.
#  Oct 16, 2007 at 8:25 AM
 morden
morden

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCrimsonXx
When I get home I will upload mine, I will upload the whole Vtex folder.

You are not missing the Vtex.dll file, TF2 has a bug where it looks in your materials section for the Vtex.dll file when you go to import a material. It's a simple mistake on their part forgetting to reset the global directory. Unfortunally this means that you have to take a round about way to importing sprays untill they fix it.

A: Import a spray into another steam game and copy it's files to TF2 (hassle)

B: Follow the little instructional that I found, (also download the converter)

Tutorial follows, not sure who the original poster was as this is spread out among several forums, works just fine though and the converter has a few options to make sure your spray looks good once converted. 

Note: This is for bypassing a bug present in the Beta version, this will be probably useless when the final release is out.
Note2:THIS METHOD IS FOR PEOPLES WHO DO NOT HAVE ANOTHER STEAM GAME INSTALLED PLEASE READ THE THREAD AND STOP SPAMMING, we already know there is another method importing files from oldies but there is plainty of guys outta there with only TF2 in steam and that's stupid for us to download another 1GB game just to convert pictures.. understand ? THANKS

Here is a simple method wich I'm using to import my own sprays:

1) Download VTFedit here: http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=41
2) With VTFedit, Import your own .JPG,.BMP, etc... and convert it to a .VTF file (Valve Texture File)

3) Now place the .VTF file to this exact location (you'll probably have to create some folder manually but it shows exactly like this):

(your dir)\Steam\steamapps\(your username)\team fortress 2\tf\materials\VGUI\logos
4) To fixe the quickview appearing blank copy the same .VTF also here (you'll probably have to create the UI folder manually but it shows exactly like this):

(your dir)\Steam\steamapps\(your username)\team fortress 2\tf\materials\VGUI\logos\UI
5) Ingame, go to the options and click import the spray and browse for it in the \logos folder (not the UI folder!) and validate. (this will create a VMT file near your VTF)

To resume, your .VTF must reside in the last \logos and also \UI folder where you copied it manually, then don't forget to do the step 5), the spray now appear correctly in the list, I have tested to spray it ingame and it works fine.

Hope that helps some soldiers outta there, cheers!

#  Oct 24, 2007 at 5:43 PM
 fran7ic
fran7ic

][ <<3 TF2FORT
#  Nov 06, 2007 at 12:47 AM
had the same problem and morden's solution worked perfectly. Thanks!

World Famous ShoutBox
The Buzz
GamerNation on Twitter