Advanced Search
The Team Fortress 2 Fort

The Team Fortress 2 Fort

RSS Feed

Disconnected: Error - Buffer overflow in net message

#  Jan 24, 2008 at 9:38 AM
 DurbanPoison
DurbanPoison

While playing Team Fortress 2, in most servers,  including ours I experience severe lag at times when people are using voice chat and when the action gets hot. However this doesn't happen on a few servers (one with all talk on where many people talk at once)

I do not use a router, as the suggested known causes according to steam's support FAQ say it is caused by outdated routed firmware. I am Plugged directly into the modem. My hardware has no problem handling crysis on medium, the specs are as follows:

750 watt thermaltake power supply
Msi P6N Diamond Mobo
Pny Nvidia Geforce 8800 gts 320 mb
Intel duo core E6600 conroe 2.4 ghz
2gb Crucial Ballistix ram @1066
7200 rpm 500gig seagate Barracudda (which steam is installed on)
10000 rpm 160 gig WD raptor (Windows XP is running on)

If the problem persists I get disconnected and the error message that follows says Buffer overflow in net message.

I talked to comcast and they did not come up with anything they could do for me. I'll try and contact steam and see if they can help, but they usually take weeks to answer.
I talked to the admin of the TF2F server, and he cant think of anything that would cause this. What is strange is it just started happening in the past week or so. before this i never had any problems whatsoever.

Anything you can think of that might be causing the problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.
#  Jan 25, 2008 at 1:21 PM
 DurbanPoison
DurbanPoison

ok i fixed my problem, and if anyone should have this problem in the future please refer to this link for help... particularly the section about setting your client rates.

http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=97&p_created=1092866023
#  Jan 25, 2008 at 4:40 PM
 Dago
Dago

Did you adjust your client rate?
#  Jan 25, 2008 at 4:54 PM
 DurbanPoison
DurbanPoison

yea i set them to match my internet speed (cable) using a script that is provided by steam.

World Famous ShoutBox
The Buzz
GamerNation on Twitter