The Team Fortress 2 Fort

The Team Fortress 2 Fort

« Previous123Next »
RSS Feed

How to find someone on steam...?

#  Feb 02, 2009 at 2:23 PM
 TINTOW
TINTOW

Sorry for the daft question, but how do you find somebody on steam?

For example, let's pick GManNickG - I go to the steam community page and search for either "GManNickG" or "gman_nick" and.....zilch!

Nothing found.  Now clearly I am making a pigs ear of this so what am I doing wrong?  When people say "hit me on steam" how the hell do you find them?

Thanks!
#  Feb 02, 2009 at 2:25 PM
 Renegade26
Renegade26

Find him through your freinds who are his friends. GMan has lots of friends, because he is really cool.
#  Feb 02, 2009 at 2:27 PM
 TINTOW
TINTOW

Thanks Renegade but that doesn't help me - apart from the fact that even GMan's friends are too cool to be my friends - I don't always know friends of friends to use this method.

Why can't I just find "gman_nick" if that's his steam id ?

BTW - Gman is being used as just an example, I have no desire to become his best friend
#  Feb 02, 2009 at 2:32 PM
 Renegade26
Renegade26

Well its actually quite diffiuclt. from my experience you need the steamid, which can be completely unrelated to the gamername that you can choose many times over, from the friends list.
#  Feb 02, 2009 at 2:33 PM
 Kermit
Kermit

Find him on recent games or ask him what his steam id is. IDK~
#  Feb 02, 2009 at 2:34 PM
If you are in game with the person, then just shift tab and choose add friend. Then pick show a list of players who you recently played with, and that special someone should be right there on the list.
#  Feb 02, 2009 at 2:35 PM
http://steamcommunity.com/id/gmannickg
#  Feb 02, 2009 at 2:35 PM
 TINTOW
TINTOW

So is the SteamID that's displayed on these pages (Renegade26 in your case) not really the SteamID ?

I can find you via Renegade26 so why can't I find other people?
#  Feb 02, 2009 at 2:39 PM
When you search in steam it looks for the person's in game name. If you search "invader amoto" it will find me because i use the same name here as i do in game. Some people do not.
#  Feb 02, 2009 at 2:39 PM
 Renegade26
Renegade26

renegade26 is my steamid (its the first name i gave steam way back when).

I still use Renegade26 a lot, for many things, including a large chunk of my gamername.

Some people may be silly and not put their steamid into the box labelled steamid, assuming it to mean nothing more than gamername. Those people are silly and unhelpful!
« Previous123Next »

World Famous ShoutBox
The Buzz
GamerNation on Twitter