Rules Latest Posts
Search
Advanced Search
The Team Fortress 2 Fort

The Team Fortress 2 Fort

« Previous123Next »
RSS Feed

Using a gamepad with Team Fortress 2: Can someone help?

#  Feb 20, 2010 at 6:07 PM
 Xeonyte
Xeonyte

I play Team Fortress 2 on my eMachines laptop.

Specs:
2 GB RAM
160 GB HDD
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics Card
AMD Athlon TF-20 Processor

I recently bought a gamepad to play TF2 on, and I have been having troubles with the aiming, which you would do normally with a mouse. I have tried joypad-to-mouse programs, but I could only get the side-to-side aiming, not up or down. If anyone has any expertise on this or can suggest an alternative, PLEASE let me know. I really want to have a good experience on this game with my laptop.
#  Feb 20, 2010 at 6:52 PM
 The Madd Ox
The Madd Ox

You are really going to struggle with a gamepad I would think, rocket jumping, sniping, anything scout does, all require snap movements that a joystick cant really do (somebody correct me if I am wrong).  I guess for pyro you might be ok.  I would reconsider and pick up a decent mouse

*EDIT*  If you are grabbing a gamepad because it is a laptop and you want to play while one the move, just buy a good mousepad or even just a sheet of paper and carry it with you.  I play exclusively on a laptop and it is not a big deal to me
#  Feb 20, 2010 at 7:59 PM
What kind of gamepad do you have?  I'm 90% sure that TF2 has native support for the xbox 360 controller.
#  Feb 20, 2010 at 8:08 PM
 sishgupta
sishgupta

Don't play multiplayer first person shooters with a gamepad. Its like bringing a knife to a gun fight. You will just get outclassed by the mouse+keybs (which is everyone) all the time.

#  Feb 20, 2010 at 10:16 PM
 Xeonyte
Xeonyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum Stud
What kind of gamepad do you have?  I'm 90% sure that TF2 has native support for the xbox 360 controller.
I'm using a Steelseries 3GC gamepad. And if the game does support an Xbox controller, how would I use it?
#  Feb 20, 2010 at 10:32 PM
 squiggles
squiggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeonyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum Stud
I'm using a Steelseries 3GC gamepad. And if the game does support an Xbox controller, how would I use it?
Could try this thread- http://www.teamfortress2fort.com/forums/t/XBox360Controller-5412.aspx
#  Feb 21, 2010 at 12:03 AM
 Xeonyte
Xeonyte

Thank you very much, this helped me a lot. The only thing I'll have to get used to is using the right stick for movement and left stick for turning. Despite that, thank you for the help.
#  Feb 22, 2010 at 7:51 PM
 Mooga
Mooga

I just use joy-to-key for this.  Much easier to customize
#  Feb 22, 2010 at 9:26 PM
 Savage-Alien
Savage-Alien

You're only part right, Mooga. You lose any sensitivity [toggles and buttons] support if you use a Joy2Key type of application. I think that if you want to remap any buttons with TF2 and the 360 gamepad support you need to edit the config files, but any other game that natively supports a 360 gamepad will normally accept in-game remapping.
So you're right that it's easier to customize in some cases, but the gains far out weigh that point when we're talking native support.
#  Feb 22, 2010 at 9:49 PM
 sp3cialk
sp3cialk

Ask Kankle.. he tried out for the squares with a 360 controller
« Previous123Next »

World Famous ShoutBox
The Buzz
GamerNation on Twitter